Monday, March 6, 2017

Steaks with caramelized onions and Garlic Wasabi sauce

This is a recipe I started making ages ago. When I got really sick, I stopped cooking fancy stuff and just did the same ?number of meals over and over and over again. I am getting better now, and have been doing my scheduling of new meals. But every few months, I like to revisit recipes we liked. And so I am starting a 31 meal rotation of all meals I've made. Good news for people looking for recipes, this means lots of tried and true stuff.

Tomorrow I'll be making Coq au Vin, and the next day it will be Empanada filling. I made the Empanadas once...And had filling left over which we ate stuffed into pita bread. Which is way easier, so that's how I do it. I will also be making my pico de gallo to eat with it (That recipe is here http://themagpieskitchen.blogspot.com/2011/07/i-hate-republicans-and-democrats-and.html ). Ole Mexico! Omnomnom, and on to the recipe...

Garlic Wasabi Sauce
1 chicken bouillon cube
1 beef bouillon cube
3 cups water
1 onion, chopped
1 tomato chopped
1 apple, peeled, cored, and chopped
1 carrot, you can peel it if you want, chopped
1 celery stalk, chopped
1 tablespoon soy sauce
3-8 garlic cloves, chopped
some tomato paste, about half a can (if you don't have a use for the rest of the can, toss the whole can in)

Put all that stuff in a goodish size saucepan and bring to a boil, Put a lid on, turn the burner to low, and simmer for an hour. Then carefully drain the liquid into a bowl, toss the solid stuff, and put the liquid back into the pan. Bring back to a boil and boil it until you have about a cup and a half of liquid.

5 teaspoons wasabi powder
5 teaspoons water.

Mix the powder with water and then stir into your liquid. Continue boiling until the wasabi paste is completely dissolved, then whisk in about 5 to 7 tablespoons of butter.

Set aside.

Caramelized onions.

1 onion, cut in half stem to root, then slice thinly
1 teaspoon sugar
1 tablespoon butter

Melt butter in large frying pan on medium heat (you'll be frying the steak in it, so) Add the onion slices and stir around to coat them all with butter. Then, you wait. And stir. And wait. And stir. This is one of the most boring ways to get a yummy food that I know of besides making risotto. Anyway, after about ten minutes, the onion will start to slowly get tan. At that point, to speed things up a smitch, you can add the sugar. You don't have to, eventually the onions will yield up their sugars and go a nice orangy brown, but... Turn up the heat a little bit and stir and watch. Because this is like bacon...the window of perfection is narrow. But doable. Once the onions browned but not black, put them in a bowl.

Sprinkle salt and pepper on the steak. Add a little bit of olive oil to the frying pan you cooked the onions in and heat it a little bit. Add the steak, it should sizzle when you do. Cook it for a while--I used a 1/2 inch thick steak and really left it on too long--it was more well done than even my husband likes. I prefer my steaks scared to death by the thought of being cooked, sear the outside, then toss it on the plate and let me at it. Cut the steak into serving sizes, pass the onions and the sauce, and listen to the sounds of happy people eating...I served this with peas and pasta. The peas were really good in the sauce too.

THE Magpie

No comments:

Post a Comment