Friday, May 6, 2011

Life, and Death, and Heaven and Hell and Shrimp Salad sandwiches

I have been hearing about a new book by a pastor named Rob Bell. Titled "Love Wins" it is garnering a lot of attention. His premise is apparently that Christians have gotten a major theological point wrong, and that there is no hell in which people will suffer for eternity. I have not yet read this book, although it is on my to read list.

Honestly, I had come to this conclusion a while ago. I am not a Catholic, nevertheless I do believe in a purgatory of sorts. But I do not believe there is a hell/lake of fire/pick your favorite Medieval/Renaissance painting of souls being tormented here.

The 139th Psalm says it best for me. I have been told that hell is a place where God is not present. Yet the Psalmist wrote,

  •        7 Where can I go from Your Spirit?
             Or where can I flee from Your presence?
          8 If I ascend into heaven, You are there;
             If I make my bed in hell, behold, You are there.
          9 If I take the wings of the morning,
             And dwell in the uttermost parts of the sea,
         10 Even there Your hand shall lead me,
             And Your right hand shall hold me.

God is, according to the psalmist, in hell as in heaven. Now, I realize this can be taken as artistic license. And yet...

In Jesus words, or at least, words attributed to Jesus,  he says,

  •       4"What man among you, if he has a hundred sheep and has lost one of them, does not leave the   ninety-nine in the open pasture and go after the one which is lost until he finds it? 5"When he has found it, he lays it on his shoulders, rejoicing. 6"And when he comes home, he calls together his friends and his neighbors, saying to them, 'Rejoice with me, for I have found my sheep which was lost!' 7"I tell you that in the same way, there will be more joy in heaven over one sinner who repents than over ninety-nine righteous persons who need no repentance. 

Even more proactive on the part of God, and requiring even less action on our part, he added:

  •  8"Or what woman, if she has ten silver coins and loses one coin, does not light a lamp and sweep the house and search carefully until she finds it? 9"When she has found it, she calls together her friends and neighbors, saying, 'Rejoice with me, for I have found the coin which I had lost!' 10"In the same way, I tell you, there is joy in the presence of the angels of God over one sinner who repents." 
Whether I am right or wrong in my belief regarding the nonexistence of hell, this belief helps me to be more patient with the people around me. I mean, I believe I'll be seeing them all again someday. So I should be tolerant of them, and patient, and slow to anger. I am really bad at all of those things, anyone who has ever ridden in a car with me knows that. No matter, because, as Paul says in Philippians, chapter 3,

  • 12 Not that I have already obtained all this, or have already been made perfect, but I press on to take hold of that for which Christ Jesus took hold of me. 13 Brothers, I do not consider myself yet to have taken hold of it. But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining towards what is ahead,  14 I press on towards the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenwards in Christ Jesus. 15 All of us who are mature should take such a view of things. And if on some point you think differently, that too God will make clear to you. 16 Only let us live up to what we have already attained.

Hey, we already attained it. Now it is just a matter of being who we are already. I can do that--most of the time.

So how about that recipe for Shrimp Salad Sandwiches? These have been proclaimed Absolutely Fabulous by everyone who has tried them. I got the recipe out of the Washington Post, who keep all their recipes on their website, isn't that nice of them? with a few changes made by yours truly, cause if I didn't tweak it, I wouldn't be me.

For plenty of leftover filling, so you can have these more than once, I start with 2 lbs of shrimp

Shrimp Salad for sandwiches

2 lb raw shrimp, defrosted and peeled--this is easy, as the shells slip right off
2 stalks of celery, diced
6 to 12 green onions, washed, and sliced, I use about six inches of the green stems and discard the rest
Mayonnaise to taste. I think for the amount of shrimp I use about 3/4 cup, maybe a cup. I just scoop it out until it looks right
salt and pepper
ground fennel seed, or chopped fresh tarragon (both taste of licorice, and can be subbed for each other in some things, like this. Fennel seed is easier to keep in the house though, just saying.
grated lemon peel
olive oil

Put 1 to 3 tsp olive oil in large frying pan and heat til it is very hot, dump in the lemon peel and the shrimp. Stir it around  until all the shrimp are pink (Probably take five minutes or so). Drain the shrimp and put into a good size bowl with everything not mentioned heretofore. Stir well, and serve on a nice crusty french type baguette or roll. Save any that is left (about half of it with a family of four, assuming no teenage males going through a growth spurt) for lunches later.

THE Magpie




No comments:

Post a Comment