Thursday, May 26, 2011

Success revisited. What is it, Really? and taco/chili seasoning mix

I've been reading a book lately, by the late Peter J. Gomes. I really like what he has to say about success, and being successful. Also about being happy.
  • He has shown you, oh Man, what is good, and what the Lord requires of you. To do justly, to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God. 
That is from the book of Micah, old testament. It is something I am trying to teach my children.

First, to do justly. To me, that means to do what is right. So then, I have to figure out what that is. Because it isn't a case of a list of stuff to do and there you are, it changes based on what is needed. I mean, there are some things that seem obvious, like no murdering your neighbors, not taking other peoples stuff, but also things like finding out what people need and getting it to them in a way that does not make them feel small. Here Mr. Gomes had some interesting things to say, about obligations and how we as human beings hate being obligated to other people. He mentioned a common habit humans have of deflecting compliments. I have encountered this in churches with the "wow, you did a good job singing" and the usual response is that "not me, but God did it". I think there is a good possibility that I put people off when I acknowledge that I am a good embroiderer. I have worked hard at getting better at something I had talent in doing. For that reason, when I am complimented on a piece I have done, I thank them for their kind words. We'll get back to this when we discuss humility/humbleness.

Love mercy. We all love mercy... when it is directed at us particularly. Not so much when it is someone else, especially someone to whom we deem no mercy is due. Nevertheless, we are to love mercy. I am raising my children to believe in a God of infinite mercy, one who can forgive even those who display the worst behaviour. People like Osama bin Laden, or the hijackers who flew planes into buildings and killed many people in the name of their God, and going further back, Adolf Hitler and Stalin and Mussolini, whose actions are demonstrably evil. So many people fall short of what I consider to be just actions. And, if I am honest, so do I. And if I feel that I deserve mercy, how can I deny it to anyone?

Walking humbly. To not think of yourself as better than you are. But I also think it means to not think of yourself as worse than you are. Compare yourself only to what you have done in the past. No one else matters in this instance. What other people do is up to them. There is only one person whose behavior you can control. This is something I point out often to my children, especially the oldest, who tries to rule how the others behave. It is a hard thing to do, not to compare yourself with others, and not to try to force them to do what you think they ought.

So, I can't force you to mix this seasoning mix the way I do, but I really like it, and so do my kids and husband.

Taco/Chili seasoning mix

1/2 cup chili powder (this is a mix available in the US, mostly paprika with some other stuff in it. If you don't have it, use 3 tbl of paprika as a substitute)
3 tbl cumin
2 tsp garlic powder
1/4-1 tsp cayenne powder (depending on how hot you want the stuff to be)
1 tsp. oregano
1/2 tsp ground coriander
1/4 tsp fenugreek (this is a spice used in Indian food a lot. It is also used as flavoring, imitation maple, and indeed smells a lot like it. I find that it has a slight oniony aftertaste, so prefer the real thing, but that may be just me)

Mix. I use the entire amount with a lb of ground beef sauteed with one chopped onion for both taco meat and chili. For chili I then add


1 can chopped tomatoes
1 can tomato sauce
2 cans of beans (kidney is traditional, but I have used black beans and garbanzos as well, still good)
1 can corn
1/2 to 3/4 cups water

Bring to a boil and simmer until sauce is thickened. I serve it over rice, but it is also good with cornbread, and one of my children likes to roll it in a flour tortilla and eat it as a sandwich.

THE Magpie

No comments:

Post a Comment