Wednesday, September 20, 2017

Creamed salmon on toast

On my eternal quest to like salmon (I don't dislike it in particular, I just got scarred by a dish my mom made called Salmonloaf. Like meatloaf, if meatloaf was as dry as the desert and almost as tasty.

Confession time here. I like creamed chipped beef on toast. My dad was in the airforce, and he always called it s**t on a shingle...but there you are. I like it. Apparently he did too, because he's the one that made it. All of which I state to explain why I would be open to creamed meat on toast.

Anyway, this was really good. It is an adaptation of a recipe I found in a magazine a couple decades back.

Ingredients
1 pound salmon fillet
black pepper
2 cups frozen corn (or canned, or shuck, cook, and cut the cobs if you want--it's probably better that way, but I'm a big fan of do it the easy way)
2 cups whole milk, (1 1/2 cups for the base, 1/2 cup to mix with flour to get the creamy part of this happening)
 1 onion, sliced, and halve the slices
4 tablespoons flour
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon pepper (as you wish)
1 teaspoon dried dill (the green stuff, not the seeds)
toasted bread (I used a French/Italian loaf, not the long skinny baguette, the fatter loaf that is really good to use for Texas or French toast)

Salt and pepper the salmon fillet, and grill until it flakes easily. It will cook a little more in the sauce stuff.

Put 1 1/2 cups milk and sliced onion into a saucepan. Bring to a boil and then reduce heat to low and simmer for about five minutes. Remove the onion slices, and add the corn to the flavored milk, bring to a boil. Mix the flour with the remaining half cup of milk, and add the salt and pepper to it. Pour the mixture into the corn and milk and stir until it is fairly thick, no more than five to ten minutes. Add the flaked salmon and the dill to the pan, stir to incorporate. Serve on toasted bread. I served this with steamed green peas. I think that string beans would also be good with it.

My husband had some of the leftovers for lunch today and says it is very good warmed over.

No comments:

Post a Comment