Monday, September 4, 2017

Curried noodles with veggies, tastes just like

Mei Fun. Which I love. This just has veggies, no eggs or meat although I may try doing the triple meat version we get from the local takeaway because YUM!

Ingredients:
2 tablespoons soy sauce
1 tablespoon mirin (which I don't have any of, so I substitute sherry because--well, because I always do although the senior taste tester looked it up and that is listed as the substitute, if you add some sugar to it)
1 tablespoon dark brown sugar (which is why I just used plain sherry this time)
1 tablespoon water
vermicelli size rice noodles
fresh ginger, peeled and chopped fine
1/4 head of green cabbage sliced very thin
1/2 of a red bell pepper, also sliced very thin
1/2 of a red onion, guess what? Yup, also sliced very thin
1/4 pound of snow peas, trimmed and cut in half on the diagonal
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
salt
2 teaspoons chile garlic paste (I didn't have any chile garlic paste but I did have Koon Chun Chili sauce and added a teaspoon of garlic powder to it
2 teaspoons curry powder (I used McCormick basic curry powder because I have it. I think when I make this again I'm going to try adding three teaspoons of curry powder)

Bring a pan of water to a boil, add the rice noodles, remove from heat and let sit for three minutes. Then drain.

Stir together soy sauce, mirin (or sherry), sugar, and water, set aside.

Heat oil in a large frying pan or wok on high heat until very hot. Add cabbage, onion, pepper, and snow peas to the oil, sprinkle some salt on it and stir fry until`the cabbage and snow peas are bright green. Add ginger, chili paste (and garlic if using) and curry powder, stir around until all the veggies are coated with the spices. Reduce heat to low, add rice noodles and stir until coated with spices. Add the soy sauce mixture and stir until everything is coated. Serve.

THE Magpie

1 comment: